Wednesday, March 30, 2022

A Nine Mile Slog Jog

Yes, I know the sign says half mile scenic loop and yes, I ran that.  Who wouldn't love a run on Goat Island?  But all said and done, I ran nine miles yesterday which included that half mile goat loop. I ran the riverwalk trail in Milford too, and saw a Black Crowned Heron huddled just off the riverwalk bridge.  I was surprised because I hadn't seen one of those since Florida several years ago.  The heron looked cold, if that's a thing, to be able to see that.  I was all layered up. The sun was out and it wasn't crazy windy but it was not much above freezing. So why don't I have a picture of the Black Crowned Heron?  My phone battery ran down to 10% and it wouldn't take the picture.  I swear.  And I had charged it before I ran.  It was 60 or 70% charged when I took off.  It must have been stuck on and picture mode or something, in my pants pocket, as I was running.  Plus I took a call from my daughter while on Goat Island.  But still, wtf? The universe was conspiring  (or Apple) to ruin what would have been a great picture of that heron because it was less than five feet from me just watching me.  

Below, the bridge going out to Goat Island. Goat Island is a sweet little trek with really nice boardwalks and bridge walks through wetlands.






As with many small towns in Delaware, Milford, on the Mispillion River and close to the Delaware Bay, used to build ships.  I ran past the shipyard on my way to Goat Island. 
After leaving Goat Island, I ran the town's riverwalk.  The little theater, shown below in the picture on the left side of the Mispillion River, appropriately named the Riverfront Theater, is host to the 2nd Street Players. It has a good reputation from what we've heard.  Many of the local actors try out and act in the  live theaters up in Sussex and Kent County.  There are several, happily.  We haven't tried out the Riverfront Theater yet.  Soon, I hope.  We love it when the arts are big in the small town communities. 
And speaking of the arts. The town's riverwalk has these miniature painted wooden boat replica's spaced here and there.  Charming.  This is the one near the Riverfront Theater.  The quote on the starboard side is appropriately from Shakespeare: "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players."
This picture of the theater-themed boat is the last one I was able to take before my phone refused to cooperate.  I had no idea the battery was so low.  I was so bummed.  the heron would have been a gorgeous picture.  I may have to run the Riverwalk again to day on the oh-so off chance that the heron is nearby. 







No comments:

Post a Comment